I have had the privilege of representing you since 2015 as Bencher. I believe my experience both as a lawyer and a Bencher, will allow me to continue to be a voice for all lawyers in the province.
As only one of three Solicitors elected to Convocation, I have co-chaired the Committee for Real Estate Issues, and continue to be a staunch advocate and “voice” for Solicitors. Also, as a member of the OBA Real Estate Executive, I will to continue to bring a Solicitor’s perspective to Convocation.
I believe that I can continue to use the knowledge and experience I have gained over 43 years of practice. Having managed a practice as both a partner in small firm, and in a large firm, I am now Senior Counsel in the Windsor office of a large multinational firm. I believe I understand the challenges that lawyers from a variety of practice areas and backgrounds continue to face.
Once reelected, I will continue to focus on:
- More aggressive consultation with the profession before changes are implemented;
- Having Convocation deal with “real’ issues facing practitioners; and
- Creating a more positive perception of lawyers;
I will focus on the unique challenges facing Solicitors today.
The LSO must do a better job in surveying and consulting the Profession before taking action, e.g. changing our Society’s name and the inclusion of mandatory statements /requirements in annual reports.
Throughout my career, I have mentored countless Articling Students and associates. I have also taught at the CBA, LSO, OBA and Windsor Law. The proposed changes to the Articling program, demand a mentorship program beyond articling so that high practice standards will be maintained. I pledge to focus on ensuring that we implement a program to assist new lawyers and benefit the profession and the public.
The negative public perception of our profession (mainly due to lawyers who have misbehaved) must be addressed. I have, and will continue to advocate, for a more public, transparent discipline process so as to ensure that all complaints and issues are fair to all parties, including lawyers.
How can you help?
We need to ensure a strong Solicitor’s voice in Convocation. You can help by letting your colleagues know of my bid for re-election.
- If you aren’t already doing so, follow this blog by entering your email address and hitting the Follow button to the right;
- Copy this link: http://www.bencherblog.ca/2019/02/19/lsobencher2019 and paste it into your email program to forward to your colleagues; and
- Use the social media Share buttons below to spread the word to your networks.
Thank you for your support.